Here are some ideas that worksites can do to encourage regular physical activity:
- Brainstorm project ideas with a co-worker while taking a walk.
- Stand while talking on the telephone.
- Walk down the hall to speak with someone rather than using the telephone.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Or get off a few floors early and take the stairs the rest of the way.
- Start an in motion Walking Club
- Walk when you can. Park an extra block form your destination or at the rear of the parking lot. Look for the longest, rather thank the shortest route.
- Walk while waiting for the plane at the airport.
- Stay at hotels with fitness centers or swimming pools while on business trips.
- Take along a jump rope in your suitcase when you travel.
- Participate in or start a recreation league at your company.
- Form a sports team to raise money for charity events.
- Join a fitness center near your work. Work out before or after work to avoid rush hour traffic, or drop by for a noon workout.
- Schedule your exercise time on your business calendar and treat it as any other important appointment.
- Get off the bus a few blocks early and walk the rest of the way to work or home.
- Walk around your building for a break during the work day or during lunch.
- Wake up to work by stretching as a group first thing in the morning
- Post motivational posters in your stairwell
- Only have a short lunch break - schedule 'Lunch 'n Learn' sessions
Check out our where to be active section for more ideas.